The virtues of CarbonStore’s carbon-related tree planting projects reach far beyond high quality carbon capture. Of course, being regulated and authorised by the Woodland Carbon Code, our woodlands satisfy the highest standards of carbon offsetting.
Moreover, being designed and planted by Tilhill, the UK’s leading woodland creation and forestry management company, our projects are cared for and managed by skilled and professional foresters.
What are the benefits of planting trees?
Planting woodlands in the UK also generates significant ecological, hydrological, social, and economic benefits, which directly support many of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
These goals define the priorities and objectives for sustainable development initiatives, such as woodland creation, around the world. By identifying our projects with the UN’s SDGs, we are ensuring our own efforts are aligned with wider initiatives elsewhere. There are currently 10 SDGs that planting trees contribute directly to:
Sustainable Development Goals
- Good Health and Well-Being: Public access is actively encouraged to many of Carbonstore’s woodlands enabling local communities to enjoy their wildlife and appreciate their beauty.
- Quality Education: CarbonStore and Tilhill work with schools and charities to help children and volunteers better understand trees, wildlife, our environment, and all their different relationships.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Trees act as a natural filter as water moves over land, cleaning it of pollutants so it reaches our lochs, lakes, rivers, and streams in a better condition.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Many of our woodlands lie in remote rural areas. The planting, management, thinning and harvesting of the trees bring jobs and activity to isolated communities.
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: The timber from some of our woodlands is being used to make Cross Laminated Timber (CLT), a new material enabling sustainable, timber construction at scale.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities: By supporting the planting of trees through carbon funding, whose timber is used to build their offices, companies are activating a virtuous and sustainable cycle.
- Responsible Production and Consumption: CarbonStore’s productive woodland schemes grow timber, the most sustainable construction material needed to build our future houses and homes.
- Climate Action: According to the Woodland Carbon Code, our broadleaf woodlands capture around 350 tonnes of carbon per hectare. Tree planting plays a key role in helping to mitigate climate change.
- Life Below Water: Carefully designed riparian planting alongside our streams and rivers, by attracting insects and providing both shade and additional food, enhances our underwater habitats.
- Life on Land: Advice from Tilhill’s in-house ecology team ensures all CarbonStore’s woodlands are designed and planted to maximise their ecological benefits and create thriving wildlife habitats.
How can CarbonStore help?
CarbonStore would be delighted to help you deliver a woodland-based carbon mitigation project that not only achieves the highest possible standards in carbon offsetting but also offers many widespread benefits which we can all enjoy.
Please contact David McCulloch, the head of CarbonStore, personally either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (07500 950832).